Another (much healthier) routine I've added is taking a shot of apple cider vinegar + lemon juice. Somehow I manage to fit this in each morning even if I'm running late, but it's an important part of my day.
If you follow me on Instagram or Snapchat (kelllybelllly), you may have seen that I always start my day with a shot of the 2. I've been doing it consistently for a few months now so I wanted to share the benefits and why I can't go a day without it.
The Benefits of ACV
1. Aids in healthy weight loss
2. Promotes healthy blood sugar
3. Boosts energy
4. Has antioxidant properties
5. Helps with heartburn and acid reflux
6. Clears acne, sinuses and helps sore throats
7. Promotes healthy cholesterol and improves nutrient absorption
The Benefits of Lemon Juice
2. Aids in better digestion
3. Improves energy levels and mood
4. Improves oral health
5. Clears skin
Lemons also make a great detox drink!
What You Need
1. Organic, raw, unfiltered ACV with the 'mother' (protein enzymes). Bragg is the most common brand.
2. Organic lemon juice. (I use this brand.)
When + How To Drink
You can take it at any time of the day but I prefer the morning because I feel like I start my day off better that way. (If I forget to take it in the AM, I'll take it when I get home from the gym in the evening.) If you're just starting to take it, I suggest the morning or at least well before a workout just to make sure your stomach has adjusted.
There are a few ways you can take it:
1. Mix 1 tbsp of ACV & 1 tbsp of lemon juice in a drinking glass and fill the rest of it with water
2. 1 tbsp of each in a shot glass and add 1 tbsp of water (this is what I do)
3. You can even take 1-2 tbsp of the ACV straight without any lemon juice
My friend said she adds in some cinnamon which helps it taste better. It's up to you!
When I first started, I mixed a tbsp of both then added water to fill the glass thinking that would dilute it. Not the case! Plus, it took me forever to drink. I looked like I ate a whole bag of sour patch kids... you know, with the eyes twitching and watering uncontrollably. I seriously dreaded it.
Then, I got the idea to make it into a shot which has been SO much better for me. It's quicker and a lot easier to take. Most of the time, I take the shot and I'm on with my morning, but occasionally I'll drink a glass of water after. (Having an adorable mini mason jar shot glass helps, too. ;) It's definitely a taste you have to get used to but I was surprised at how quickly I adjusted.
How I Feel
If I don't take it, I have slight pains and just feel "off", especially if I also eat food out of my macros plan. Hello Tums and GasX. But when I do take it consistently, I have zero bloat and stomach pains. And no you won't be running to the bathroom constantly, ha! A lot of people think that, and I did too but that is not the case. I take it every day and can't go without it! It has helped me a lot.
There are so many benefits to both ACV and lemon juice so why not make it part of your day? Now that fall has begun, this would be a great time to start! If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment below or Tweet me. I'd love to help!
Do you make ACV + lemon juice part of your day? How do you drink it?